Wednesday, June 6, 2012

maxi skirt

Maxi skirts have been fashionable recently. I knew that I wanted one but I did not want to purchase one when I could make it instead.

So, I started looking for tutorials and used a couple. These are a few that I found:

This maxi skirt tutorial is fabulous (and is the one I used for the red skirt). Another maxi skirt tutorial that is straight forward. Yet another maxi skirt tutorial that uses regular fabric instead of jersey fabric. There is even a tutorial to turn a dress into a maxi skirt. This looks so cool. I am on the look out for a dress that will work. My favorite (other than the fabulous three tired skirt) is this maxi yoga skirt (this is the tutorial I used to make the grey and blue polka dot skirts).


Here are a couple of things that I learned making these skirts:
Definitely use a ball point needle on jersey fabric. I skipped this at first and my stitches were skipping also.
Do NOT cut the bottom of your fabric and hem it before washing. You will REGRET it. I do!

Jersey does not ravel, so when you have it all finished (except the length) throw it in the washer and dry it. If you  are still worried serge or zigzag the edge before washing it. Then cut or sew it to length. With the red skirt I just turned up the edge about a quarter of an inch and sewed the hem. I got lucky with that one. The grey one is the one that I have regrets with. I think I may shorten it a few inches and then hem it again.


Now I just need to finish the other two. Hopefully I can find a tutorial that adds pockets.


No comments: