Friday, April 17, 2015

Houndstooth-Bama Finish

I have decided to name this quilt Bama.
It is a very fitting name for an Alabama quilt. I thought of a few other names such as Bear, Paul, Bryant, Paul Bear Bryant, Alabama, Alabama Tide, Tide, Roll Tide, and Houndstooth, but the only name that really stuck with was Bama.

I gave this quilt to the person that it was promised to as a wedding present about four years ago, oh me! She loved it!

Since I decided to finish it the size that worked best with the fabric that I had for it (or could find that I had original fabric for this quilt) it finished as a baby quilt; 38 1/2" x 42 1/2". Fortunately they have a baby and it works great for her!
I quilted free-motion swirls (roll tides) in each block and used white in the white parts and black in the black parts. I also quilted in the ditch; straight in the long diagonal using white and around the outside in black (I think that description is confusing, so trust me it outlined all of the blocks). I think it worked very well.
The backing is Alabama fabric and the binding is houndstooth fabric in grey. I still have a whole lot of these fabrics, so be prepare to see them in the future. Most likely since I have so much they will be backings of some quilts, but we will see how it the creative juices use them.
Although I was not a fan of the process while making this quilt; now that it is finished I want to make two or three more. It really was not terrible to make; more annoying than anything working with the bias, however, the end product is so worth it!
Also, I love taking pictures in a field of canola! There is just something about so much yellow! Everywhere you look is yellow. I just love it! Yellow was my first favorite color, so I am a little partial to yellow.

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Houndstooth Finally

I have had this quilt planned for so long! I even started making and piecing it using the tube method.

I used 2 1/2 in strips and I did not know what size the blocks would be once I cut them, but during the sample blocks, I found that when I cut them they measured 5 1/2 in cut. I think that maybe I am doing something wrong because they were not perfectly square. So, I trimmed them to 5 1/4 in. I am sure that if you wanted to use precuts you could cut the strips a little smaller and trim the squares to 5 in.

This is an excellent video on how to make the quilt the way that I planned and started making mine (way back in 2011).

I am so excited to be finally making this quilt. I had a fourth of the blocks pieced and trimmed. I also had most of the fabric cut and ready to sew. I had all of the black fabrics prepared. If I had the white prepared I have lost or used it.

So, I cut some white fabric and got to work.

I pieced all the rest of the blocks then cut, pressed, and trimmed them. I laid them all out to see how big this quilt was going to be.
Originally, like the Batik Slash, I was going to make this a lap quilt, and just like that quilt I am finishing it just like it is.

I love the way that this turned out. It is very pretty and I know that the receiving family will love it so much!
I cannot decide exactly how to quilt it. I don't want any white thread on the black parts or black thread on the white parts. So far I have quilted on the diagonal where the blocks meet. I have a few ideas, so I will start more quilting soon.