Monday, January 16, 2012

Exciting Discovery

So, you may be wondering what happened to the turtle quilt. It is a little behind schedule, I admit, but it will be finished and in the mail Tuesday (the post office is closed Monday, grr).

Something amazing happened last weekend (January 7, 2012) that caused all sorts of changes of any plans that I had.

After two years of searching, I was able to locate and speak with my mother's sisters, their children, and her brother's children. This is amazing with the fact that it has been between 45 and 50 years since they have seen each other and maybe just a little less since they spoke. I am still working out details with the three of them to determine just how long it has been.

We learned last year (thorough his obituary) that my mother's brother passed away, but we were able to locate his children also. So, with new aunts and cousins, I have been a very busy girl trying to catch-up and learn names with so many people. I have/had thirteen cousins (one of my cousins passed away a couple of years ago). I have a name for all of them and a current picture (thanks to FaceBook) of most of them so that when we meet them in a couple of weeks we will be able to know who each one is.

That is right we are going to make the three-four hour trip to meet them. I was surprised to find that so many of them were so close. I had no idea where they would be. I had an idea where they could be, and it looks like they have all stayed in the same general location for the last ten years.

I am glad that we have found them, but I am sad that we have missed opportunities to meet a couple of them. I am also sad that we have missed so much time, but so happy that we can now spend time with this side of the family!

No comments: