Monday, July 9, 2012

Canning

I have a garden that is bursting with tomatoes.
So, I have spent some time this summer canning them.
Canning is not something I remember my mother doing. I am sure that my grandparents canned, but since we never lived near, within driving distance, or even in the same state as them, I was unable to be a part of their canning ventures.
One thing I learned from my mother was that being prepared to feed your family is important. She did this by compiling a large pantry of food, almost to the point of hoarding.
With that in mind, I put away what I can from my garden. I use to only freeze my vegetables, but last summer I learned how to can pickles and tomatoes. My husband LOVES the pickle,s and I really enjoyed not having to purchase canned tomatoes. Opening a jar of tomatoes that I canned was bliss this past winter, especially with the limited budget we were on during my student internship.

So, while I have not been sewing or making things, this is what I have been doing: picking, rinsing, and canning.


Boiling water to loosen the skin


Cool down


peeled and put in jars
thinking of winter already with that towel


water bath


my canning products that have not already been eaten or given away
salsa, pickles, tomatoes, and jalapenos

Are you canning anything this summer?

No comments: